Subject: [Leica] Hello and New Gallery- Take 2
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sun Jun 6 23:20:26 2004

Matt,

The Leica is an incomparable photographic instrument and worthy of every
accolade it's ever been given. OTOH, the Exakta was to SLR's what the
Leica was to rangefinders. It's unique trapazoidal body remained
essentially the same until the end of production..... not counting the
later Praktica-based body of the RTL-1000 or cameras that carried the
name but were not Ihagee produced. The camera itself is idiosyncratic
with it's left-hand shutter release, film-cutting knife, separate slow
shutter speed dial and more. They were well built and reliable and
capable of taking excellent photographs. Under Communist management they
didn't evolve and were surpassed by dozens of newer designs with more
features. Even so, I'd never apologize for owning and using Exaktas.
They are a fun camera and I'll probably depart this earth with several
still in my keeping. Of course, I'll also still have my Leicas and
several other makes too. Just because I own the Rolls-Royce of miniature
cameras doesn't mean I can't drive other marques too. I enjoy them all.
I just enjoy the Leicas a bit more.

Walker

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Hello and New Gallery- Take 2)