Subject: [Leica] FW: Photographer's Rights Protest NYC
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Mon Jun 7 07:22:27 2004

Tim Atherton wrote:
> http://photographersrights.mtude.com/

Here's a report of the protest from the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/07/nyregion/07subway.html

I am disappointed only 100 photographers showed up for
the protest.  I would have made it down to NYC if I had known
about the protest sooner.  Anyway, I am glad that it made
the coverage in the NY Times.

Please send in your comment to the New York Metropolitan
Transportation Authority.  According to the NY Times, the MTA
is soliciting public comments on the issue.   I don't think you
need to be a NYC resident, or even a USA resident  to comment;
I would like photographers from all over the world to let the MTA know
it's a bad idea.

The proposed change regarding photography can be found
under Section 1050.9 "Restricted areas and activities",
paragraphed c) in http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/rules/nyct.htm

Here is the new wording of the paragraph:
(c)  No photograph, film or video recording shall be made or taken
on or in any conveyance or facility by any person, except members
of the press holding valid press identification cards issued by the
New York City Police Department or by others duly authorized in
writing to engage in such activity by the authority.  All photographic
activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this
Part.

To send your comment to the MTA, go to the page:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/rules/proposed.htm
At the bottom of the page you can click and send send in your
comment.

Please spread the word.

- Phong