Subject: [Leica] Remembering the Reagan years
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Jun 10 06:26:49 2004

Okay - I am NOT a Reagan admirer - far, far from it; I think he was a
complete disaster but for his uplifting the national spirit, which he
did quite effectively at a time when it needed uplifting. On the other
hand, I think he should have been impeached over Iran Contra. But that
said, I do think that his weapons programs had the effect of forcing the
Soviets to spend themselves into oblivion, and hastened the fall of the
Soviet Union and opening up of Eastern Europe; I don't think he caused
it, mind you, I think he hastened it. At the same time, of course, one
can sensibly argue that were it not for Gorb's basic sanity, the
Soviet's could just as easily responded to their downfall by pushing The
Button, going down in mushroom clouds, taking the Capitalist Warmongers
with them. But they didn't, so history says Reagan is a hero.