Subject: [Leica] Remembering the Reagan years
From: jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu Jun 10 06:52:45 2004

I guess my biggest annoyance about him as president is that, like Rush
Limbaugh, Reagan (or his writers) simply made up crap and presented it to
the public, and the public believed it! I'm not talking about mildly
tweaking the truth or using hyperbole, I'm talking about inflating stuff to
20 times more than it actually was. I also got tired of hearing the dubious
anecdotes of the black person who is on welfare, drives a Cadillac, and
buys booze with food stamps. But that was what America (at least white
conservative America) wanted to hear. It also helped that he followed
Carter who invited all of Cuba's mentally ill and criminal folks to come
live the good life in the US.

I don't think Reagan was mean-spirited. He was a bit shallow, remembered
when minorities had no privileges, and longed for the good old days. He
sounded like many 70-year-old affluent white males I know.

Jeffery