Subject: [Leica] Remembering Sal...
From: rclark01 at comcast.net (rclark01@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jun 15 14:51:23 2004

The first time I met Sal was at a camera store in Bryn Mawr down near Jim
Shulman's place.  My wife and I went there at Jim's invitation...a great guy
whom I had met the previous January at Steve LeHuray's last gathering in DC.
 When I walked in and saw this larger than life guy with the Leica attire
holding court and talking to anyone who would listen, I walked right up and
introduced myself. He replied with a hearty hello and that he was finally
glad to meet me being I had posted a few times and was from Lancaster...an
area he knew well.  Wow...Sal glad to meet me?  He took a look at my Leica
gear and inquired about  my interests and generally was the great terrific
guy we know him all to be.  Soon, Jim suggested we go to lunch so several of
us walked down the street to a Thai restaurant where two hours of enjoying
lunch and listening to Sal's storied went by in a flash.  I especially
remember him talking about meeting and getting to know Alfred Eisenstadt and
how Sal ran with the big dogs of the political world.  What a
treat.....then, last November good ole Jim invited a bunch of us down to his
place again for a great dinner (Phong, Kyle, Sal, and many others) and
another fun night of talking, laughing, and mostly, enjoying Sal's company.
When the evening was over, Sal and I rode the elevator down together talking
about the  main line and his youth in the Philadelphia area.  Last time I
saw him, he was walking away with a box of lasagna headed towards his 450SL
coupe and with a hearty smile, a big laugh, and a happ goodbye, he blended
with the darkness and, to me into my memory.  Thanks Sal, Jim and to all the
guys in the  PLUG for bringing me into the fold and accepting me into the
group.  Sal was larger than life and I miss him.  Happy snaps forever.

Robert Clark
Lancaster, PA