Subject: [Leica] Erwin on the new M-50/1.4 ASPH
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun Jun 20 19:03:43 2004

You're right--great Leica glass doesn't have to require a second mortgage.

To that end, some of the best images I've made recently have come from a
1954 Red Scale Elmar-M.  Cost was less than two hundred bucks in perfect
shape.  Compact, terrific performer--and great with retro films like
Kodachrome and Efke.

When I need the speed, I go with an early 70s Summilux--which set me back
about six hundred bucks a few years ago.  The results are great. Even with
100 speed film, I don't think I've used max aperture more than once or twice
in the last year.

When so many were swapping their 90 Summicrons for the AA, I grabbed an
older one, mint in box, for six hundred.  Again, I love the results!

Still waiting for some bored retired dentist to dump a nearly new MP for
$1000.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA