Subject: [Leica] Shanghaied a Shanghai camera in Shanghai
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Jun 22 05:54:13 2004

I was bopping around some antique stores in the old part of Shanghai
today, trying to avoid buying the Mao Tse Tung alarm clocks (the ones
where Mao's hand waves to you, quite kitchy), when I came across a
Shanghai Leica clone.   According to what I can find out (mainly Ian
Norris' site), it's a Shanghai 58-II model 2. It has 4 screws on the
accessory shoe and a diopter adjustment, but no strap lugs (they're a
bourgeoise convenience anyway).

It's a pretty good clone of a III series Leica, although it has a
combined viewfinder/rangefinder (thus is closer to a FED than a
Leica). The body was in pretty good shape although it has signs that
someone attempted a repair (scratched screw heads and a missing
screw). The second curtain is a different shade/texture than the
first curtain. The slow shutter speeds are irregular, they only
"catch" about 1/10th the time.*** The horizontal alignment is way off
and the vertical alignment too, just for good measure.

BUT, the rangefinder was clear and the focusing spot (despite being
off in Panama horizontally and vertically) was relatively clear
(compared to my FEDkin and Zorkins). The collapsible 50mm f/3.5
Elmariclone was clean and clear.

According to the seller, it belonged to his father and was bought in
1958. The serial number begins with 58xxxxxso that is either likely
or not. It also came with the battered version of the original
neveready leather case, with bakelite screw adjust.

After bargaining  with the seller for about half an hour (this *is*
Shanghai), I got a good price on it so I'm happy.

I took off the rangefinder prism cover and tried adjusting the
vertical alignment, but couldn't get it close enough. The horizontal
is also way off. It may take some more serious adjustment than I  can
do in my hotel room without tools. Any suggestions?

Karen

*** Update. After playing with it in my hotel room, it appears that
if the fast shutter dial is set to 20-1, then you must *ALWAYS* reset
the slow shutter speed dial to 1/20 before dialing in another slow
speed. So to set it to 1 second, I have to go back to 1/20 and then
dial in 1 second. Is this usual for cameras with split fast/slow
shutter speeds? I don't recall having to do this with my Minolta 35
for example.

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man) ([Leica] Shanghaied a Shanghai camera in Shanghai)