Subject: [Leica] 50mm F1.4 redux, or on the need for speed.
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Thu Jun 24 13:03:12 2004

Mr. Dimitrov says:
> chrome 50mm Elmar-M. I guess speed isn't everything.
> S. Dimitrov

I say  ...yes it is.  :^)

Just ask anyone who who shoots in the dark places (both physically and
socially)

When I was starting out and using Olympus SLR's (Which were great) I thought
f4 was great and 2.8 was as good as it got but once you start shooting in
peoples personal places and sensitive subjects even 2.8 is too slow
sometimes.

It not only allows you shoot in the worst lighting conditions but the extra
stop or two gives you greater depth of field at other apetures and for
sports the extra shutter speed when needed.

To add to some rich womans saying (who was that?) you can never be too rich
or too thin I would offer your lens can never be fast enough and your studio
can never be too big.

It's there, use it to the max. With auto-everything levelling the tech
skills needed to be a half assed photographer its those who can work at the
edges of skill and technology that show unique professional talent.

Who needs lenses under f2?  ...me.

Cheers all

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland