Subject: [Leica] New Noct images - Midnight marauder
From: mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler)
Date: Thu Jun 24 15:19:52 2004

Thanks for the compliment, Walker.  Yes, we live close to Sugarloaf
Mountain, in Poolesville, MD.

I'm aware snakes can climb (seen a number of them in trees over the years),
but was pretty surprised to find this one had climbed into a position on a
sheer wall to get the little house wren and her 3-day old chicks.  Quite a
puzzle solving feat I didn't think snakes were capable of performing.

I believe the example in the photos is a Black Kingsnake, and about 4-1/2 to
5 feet long when stretched out.  My wife and I like snakes, but were
irritated that this rascal ate the wren chicks we were so looking forward to
watching.  To get rid of the snake, I just lightly poked it with a long
stick to encourage it to go elsewhere, which it slowly did.  I last saw it
crossing our driveway about an hour or so later, hopefully to keep the
rodent population in check, rather than the song birds.

I was just lucky to have an opportunity to use the MP (back on topic) while
it was revisiting the scene of the crime...  ;-)

Regards,

Mitch