Subject: [Leica] declining quality of writing
From: jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat Jun 26 16:03:29 2004

Our rule of thumb at San Diego State was that, after three spelling or
grammatical errors, a writing assignment would be turned back to the
student for more work. That only happened to me once, on my first paper.
I spelled primitive as "primative" three times and it came back to me.

I tried the very same strategy when I started teaching a Dillard
University in the early 1980's. I didn't make it past sentence #3 in any
paper in the class. So much for that rule of thumb. Several years later,
spell checkers were readily available, followed by grammar checkers. No,
the students didn't use them.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA