Subject: [Leica] Writing, Literacy, and College
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Sun Jun 27 10:40:59 2004

Many of my students do not write well. Some write very very well. What is
extraordinary are their other talents: audio recording, video work,
sometimres still photography. For many of them, these are the talents that
lead to their futures. I wish they knew the difference between it's and its,
but I am grateful that they know how to use a Fostex to preserve some stereo
effects.

Moreover, the good old days were not so good. Many of the students then did
not know how to write. (Did the Yalie who is our current president offer
much hope?) Many of the men who were admitted were admitted because they
went to the right schools, were legacies, or just were white and men--and
did not offer much strength. Somehow, we have a much stronger student body
than we used to, much much. [I would not be surprised that a few schools
have not much changed, the Caltechs for example. But I am sure the Ivy
Leagues are much stronger, with many fewer weak students.] And in the good
old days Caltech did not admit women, even to its graduate school. And the
number of minorities (Jews, Poles, Irish, Negroes) was restricted.

MK

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Writing, Literacy, and College)