Subject: [Leica] best practices - focusing narrow DOF with the rangefinder...
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jun 30 06:16:20 2004

At 11:57 PM 6/29/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>So how do people focus on non-center area with a lens/aperture combination
>that has very narrow DOF? Do you focus, recompose and move the subject off
>the RF patch, and then nudge a wee bit based on experience? Since the
>amount of nudging needed is dependent on the DOF, distance to the subject
>and how far off it is from the RF center, this makes it difficult to do, no?

Why would you need to nudge any?  I focus on the subject, usually the eyes
or something in the same plane as the eyes (something vertical like a shirt
lapel makes it easier), meter off of something about medium gray, depress
the shutter half-way, recompose and take the photo.  With very narrow DOF,
like the Noctilux, I fine-focus by moving myself slightly back and
forth.  The focus is not going to change once you get it and the exposure
will stay the same if you depress the shutter half-way.  After you do that,
you can recompose all you want as long as you hold the camera in the same
plane.  If you are focusing on the main subject, you probably aren't going
to move the camera very much to recompose.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com