Subject: [Leica] Fungus now filters
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Fri Jul 2 05:46:42 2004

The point of anti-aliasing is to smooth out "the jaggies", the jagged edges
in
digitised images caused by finite resolution. In theory with a large enough
number of pixels in a camera you should be able to ignore the effects
because
the human eye wouldn't be able to resolve them. The need for anti-aliasing
is a
result of the artifacts introduced by the availability of a finite number of
pixels to display an image in. For a standard monitor this number is 1.25Mp
and
here anti-aliasing is necessary without doubt.

It MAY be - and I say may because I don't know for certain - that at 14 MP,
up
to certain "reasonable" magnifications the effects are either not noticeable
or
are swamped by other effects or are cancelled out by the effects of other
algorithms, when the digital image is viewed or printed.

Peter Dzwig