Subject: [Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates
From: ljkapner at cox.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Fri Jul 2 08:23:38 2004

Bob,

If the "larger problem" you contend is true, then our society's education
mechanism (not just the schools!) has failed these individuals, allowing
them to mature without a sense of self-worth, or the potential value of
their prospective contribution to the whole. This is a bleak and disturbing
conclusion, and one that is apparently at odds with the desire to become
educated.

If your students are studying to express themselves in music, how come they
can't cross the chasm to understand that expressive skills are part of a
critical social set that includes the spoken and written word, not just
notes on an instrument, played to a beat?

Why has that concept become so difficult to understand?

Len