Subject: [Leica] bulk loading
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Fri Jul 2 18:23:57 2004

>I bulkload odd films like movie-tock (Super XX, Agfapan 250 and Tech-Pan).
>Rather than use a bulk loader I go into the darkroom and just unwind the
>film
>out of the can, extend my arms fully and chop of the film.

Many years ago I was stationed on an Air Force Base that had C-130's
with a primary mission of photo-mapping  as much of the world as
possible. I was fortunate enough to know an individual who worked in the
film lab and he gave me a 400' roll of Plus-X. I shot a LOT of pictures
with that roll of film and I used exactly the same technique you
describe; extend the arms and cut. I now own three different bulk
loaders and at least one will load the Leica cassettes which I have a
number of..... all for screw-mount bodies. My father used another
technique to measure his bulk film: He had two nails driven into the
inside door frame of a closet. He stretched the film between the two
nail heads and cut. (The nails were on the back-side of the frame so no
one would hurt themselves.)