Subject: [Leica] bulk loading
From: lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger)
Date: Sat Jul 3 08:09:27 2004

> Those simple LLOYDS bulk loaders drag the film through a felt light trap
> and
> if you are careful, you don't have to pull out much film at all to expose
> it
> to light.  Of course you can't load the old Leica Cassettes in those since
> they are not large enough or set up for the light trap closing like the
> Watson brand and others are set up for.  Those Watson style loaders do
> leave
> more film to waste especially when you start the cassette.  Enough that I
> disregard the last two exposures when I hit the end of the roll, not
> paying
> attention to the film counter..

I roll my film in the darkroom to avoid this.  I cut all the tape before
hand, setup the rolls and do it by feel.

There is just no way I'm going to have those last two shots be worthless,
that is unacceptable.

Also, for those worrying about scratches, just replace your cassettes every
5 or so runs.  I mark them after each reload and toss them periodically.
Wastes less than buying factory load.

I also blow out the traps with compressed air before loading.