Subject: [Leica] New York Times anonymous fine art photography Now Mark's screw up
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jul 3 22:00:11 2004

On 7/3/04 2:59 PM, "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> typed:

> Ted Grant wrote:
>> Tina Manley said:
>>
>>> I sell fine art photographic prints.  I can't make them for $17.95.<<<
>>

>> Hi Tina, so true.!
>>
>> Mine start at $300. USA dollars and go up from there whatever the subject.
>> Even then it takes a lot of time making the prints, tidying them up and
>> handling.
>>
>> Even when we print on the 2200 we charge the same for those prints and
>> produce them on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper 13 X19. We charge the same for
>> colour or B&W.
>> ted

I charge the same when I use Epson heavyweight archival matt paper with the
2200. Not that anyone's bought one yet! But I lay in wait for my first
sucker. Then the avalanche and my first Green Jaguar E type.
http://www.jaguar-e-type.net/

Isn't that Velvet stuff fuzzy?!!? I think I tried it once.

"In the mid-1970s, art photography became a chic form of investment. The
prices for Weston's prints soared from a couple hundred dollars to over a
thousand. He came into money for the first time in his life.

In the 1970s, Art Wright bought one of Weston's prints of his famous "Ear
and Hand" photo for $75. The photo hangs in Wright's house and on the
canceled check to Weston is taped to the back of the frame. Today that same
print sells for $30,000.

For a short time, Weston, who had always been a kind of one man band framing
his prints and selling them himself, even hired a manager to sell his prints
to rich patrons and corporations.

He built a house in on the big island of Hawaii, where he made some of his
most astonishing photographs. Much of the money went into cars. His
obsession with cars began early on, when he manned the wheel on his father's
expeditions. Edward never learned to drive. But by the 1980s, the old Chevy
trucks had been replaced by new Corvettes. Two of them. According to Wilson,
Weston's first Corvette was a stick shift, which he had a hard time handling
after a bite by a poisonous spider impaired his right arm. So he bought an
identical Corvette with an automatic transmission. He refused to let anyone
else drive him around or drive his cars."

http://www.counterpunch.org/stclair12052003.html

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon