Subject: [Leica] Re: Fuji Acros
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sun Jul 4 14:46:36 2004

>The best of
>these old emulsion was the Neopan F, a 40 ASA film with a 50's emulsion,
>silver
>rich and with smooth tones. They stopped production of it last year and I
>miss
>it. You could do 2x3 ft prints from 35 negs with amazing sharpness and
>tones
>- a Japanese version of the old Panatomic-X.

Pan-X........ too bad Kodak saw fit to quit making it. 37 years ago I
watched a C-124 cargo aircraft burn on the tarmac at a small base in the
Southern Philippines. At the time I had recently purchased my first
"real" camera, a Fuji V-42. I took a picture of the plane after the fire
department had finished. The plane was under guard so I was some
distance away looking from between stacks of boxes. The camera had a
45mm lens and was loaded with Panatomic-X. Later, my father developed
the film in straight D-76, IIRC. To get a decent-sized enlargement, I
turned the D-2 Omega around and projected the image onto the ezel lying
on the floor. The enlarger head was as high as it would go and the 50mm
lens threw a huge image. The exposure was quite long but the detail was
amazing! The tail number could be plainly read and other detail easily
seen. I still have that negative somewhere and if I run across it, I'll
scan it.