Subject: [Leica] Re: Fuji Acros
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jul 5 01:39:48 2004

On 7/4/04 1:25 PM, "Jeffery Smith" <jls@runbox.com> typed:

> Tom,
>
> Thanks so much for your comprehensive response! That was exactly the
> information I needed. Fortuitously, I just ordered and received metol,
> sulfite, and carbonate from Photographer's Formulary last week. I'm good
> to go.
>
> Again, thanks so much.
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA

IF you already know what the Metal also known as Elon smells like that means
it has already entered your body. And that is very much not so great. Metal
could easily be the nastiest thing in your darkroom unless you selenium
tone.
If this is the case get out of the habit of knowing what things in the
darkroom smell like. Lots of people are like that. You don?t even want to
know what your darkroom powders smell like. Not even the first time you get
a certain chemical unless you know for sure that it is almost completely
none poison which is rare. Too much orange juice will kill you. People do it
without thinking. They think it keeps them out of trouble. Making sure they
are not using hypo to developed your film and so on. (I think I do that.
Check for the smell of hypo which means it's not D76) It's better to develop
other defense mechanisms. Like reading the label.

You'll know if you used hypo to develop your film because the whole roll
comes out wonderfully clear. Film base fog if that.

With such a clear roll of film you can forget your camera and just get a
marking pen and just DRAW into the frames and print those! Very Bauhaus. Not
the band the art thing. Remember you are making white lines on black paper.
Which is why sometimes a fella needs "black out". When your hand slips.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/