Subject: [Leica] Elmarit vs. Anything Cheaper, or is this a good buy?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Jul 6 20:14:05 2004

Jeff:  By all accounts, the current 90 Elmarit is a great lens.  However,
it is heavy (about 400 gm). There are lighter and less pricey
alternatives.  The wider open you shoot, the more you need the more
expensive lenses.  Any of the alternatives will do you fine at f/8.

The C/V 90/3.5 APO Lanthar is a great travel lens, small, light, and very
close in performance to the Elmarit.  You can use it wide-open with the
same performance as stopped down!  I got one used for $235 recently, and I
love it.  You'll need an LTM-M adapter.

A non-asph 90 Summicron from the 1982-3 and later is of similar weight and
performance to the Elmarit, and has an extra stop when you need it.  $600 -
$800.

The classic 1960s 90/2.8 Elmarit is long and skinny, and a little soft wide
open, but it makes a great portrait lens at f/4 and is beautiful for any
purpose at f/5.6 and smaller.  Erwin says it is better than either of the
tele-Elmarit versions.  And it is an underated lens, therefore relatively
inexpensive.  Mid $300s.  The tele-Elmarit versions are supposed to have
more flare and less contrast, but are smaller.  I'd take the C/V Lanthar
over the tele versions optically.

If you already have one, you can try the J-9. But beware that many do not
focus correctly on Leicas--they are off either at infinity or closer than
about 8 feet.  If you can borrow an adapter, try it and make a few test
shots.  If you don't already have the lens in LTM, I wouldn't recommend
going there.

Hope this is helpful!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Elmarit vs. Anything Cheaper, or is this a good buy?)