Subject: [Leica] New Leica digital rangefinder system ? , was: new M lens?
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (n.wajsman@chello.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 12 09:44:12 2004

This is a very interesting discussion. Of course, none of us is privvy to
the discussions in Leica's marketing department, but hey, it is fun to give
our ? 0.02...

I think that Leica is in a difficult position. Lucien's point is valid; but
then the question is, if my existing M lenses are not usable with the new
digital M, then why should I stay with Leica in the first place? I agree
with BD that Epson/Cosina probably did not invest all that R&D money just to
manufacture 10,000 units, so for someone like me the RD-1 would be a better
option for a digital rangefinder than a new presumably very expensive Leica
Digital M which would also require me to buy a whole new set of (also
presumably expensive) M-digital lenses.

After all, even Nikon and Canon have made their digital SLRs so that the old
lenses can still be used, albeit with some limitations. I think what Leica
might do is something similar: make the digital M compatible with the analog
lenses but then also bring out a line of digital-only lenses which would
offer added functionality. Precedent exists even within the Leica family: I
can mount old 1-cam and 2-cam lenses on my R8/R9 but to take full advantage
of some features, I need to use the newest ROM lenses.

As for general speculation about Leica's corporate future, I have no doubt
that it will end up as a subsidiary of one of the big companies--OR they
will leave camera manufacturing altogether and become a specialized maker of
high-end lenses, which is after all where their expertise is.

Nathan