Subject: [Leica] RE: Digital M
From: richard at ogdenonline.co.uk (Richard Ogden)
Date: Tue Jul 13 00:06:20 2004

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> On 7/12/04 8:13 AM, "Richard Ogden" <richard@ogdenonline.co.uk> typed:
>

>>Some of the unique qualities of the rangefinder-type camera relate to the
>>direct
>>relationship between photographer and subject, the continuity of viewing
>>through
>>the moment of exposure, and the miniscule time-lag between seeing the
>>moment
>>and
>>capturing it - no mirrors, blind spot or shutter lag. Now we are to
>>interpose
>>monitors and histograms into this formula? Surely this goes against the
>>whole
>>philosophy of the rangefinder experience.
>>
>>Richard
>>************************************************************************
>>From:               Richard Ogden
>

> But how would monitors and histograms get in the way of the direct
> relationship between photographer and subject, the continuity of viewing
> through the moment of exposure, and the miniscule time-lag between seeing
> the moment and capturing it - no mirrors, blind spot or shutter lag.
>
> You look at the histogram later if you feel like it.
>
> Same with the monitor.
>
> Mark Rabiner

Because they're there! Watch people using digital cameras. Observe the first
thing they do when they've pressed the button. They look at the monitor. I
know
they don't have to - as you rightly say they could look at it later - but
they
don't. Worse, they often show the monitor to their subject or the friend
who's
with them! This may be of benefit to fashion / portrait photographers, but
for
me it would get in the way of the picture-taking experience.

Of course, at the moment, there's a good reason for doing this because,
thanks
to the shutter lag of digital cameras, it's the only way to know whether
you've
captured the picture you saw through the viewfinder, That situation may
change
as the technology evolves, but as of now only with a Leica M can you be
confident that, if you saw it, you've got it. That's not even true of a
reflex
camera, let alone a digital one.

Richard