Subject: [Leica] Why a digital M
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Jul 13 14:56:07 2004

Well (d) is certainly a primary reason why I like digital. I never
have good feelings about the way I process film. Currently shooting
C41 B&W and scanning is my best approximation of digital. Or shooting
E6 and killing the chroma.  The "magic" of the darkroom just isn't a
part of photography for me like it is for some. For me it's just
another place to get something wrong.

On the other hand digital offers me many ways to get things RIGHT so I
can worry about pushing the button and making good pictures.

A digital M makes sense because it would use the same lenses and would
have a form factor similar to my current M's and probably would make
images as good as shooting, say TCN but not as good (as someone has
already mentioned) as shooting TMAX 100 or technical pan. EXCEPT I
don't have to worry about having the wrong film in the camera at any
time - I can switch from 100 to 800 with the turn of a
dial/switch/whatever - a great convenience.

I know I'll be giving up (at least until the end of the decade)
dynamic range but I can live with that.

That's why a digital M is desirable for me.

I don't think (e) is a reason , though. :)

Adam

Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Why a digital M)