Subject: [Leica] Why a digital M
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Tue Jul 13 18:05:55 2004

B.D., I'm afraid you've combined my post with that of another poster. I
mentioned my early Elmars - not my Summar - and their *mechanical*
excellence....... not their optical qualities. That was in reply to the
original post which commented upon the mechanical qualities of the
1960's Nikkors. (It was he who owns the Summar mentioned. Although I own
one, I didn't bring it up.) I think you'll readily agree that the best
optical formula ever conceived and made of the best rare earth glasses
possible would be compromised by a poorly constructed mount or one that
became sloppy over time.

Of course, no one would logically argue that the lens of almost 75 years
ago are a match for today's lens. Anyone who did so would be - and
should be - dismissed as mad. But, anyone who argues that the latest and
greatest lens is everything has also missed the boat. The photographer's
eye is probably the most important element of all and great pictures can
be -and are - taken with less than the highest quality equipment. If I
waited until I could afford the best body and optics made by Leica, I'd
never take a shot. I can't allow that to get in my way so I do with what
I have.

Really, I think we're in agreement and someday maybe I'll have a chance
to try one of the newer wonder lens. (I'd mention the Noc but I already
know how that sets you off! LOL)

Best Regards, Walker