Subject: [Leica] Photo student harassed in Seattle by Homeland Security
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Sat Jul 17 11:44:53 2004

This has been an interesting thread.

In this case, a citizen in good standing was harassed by authories, and
effectively barred from doing something that is perfectly legal - in
this case, photographing the Ballard Locks as part of a class
assignment.  There is no prohibition on photography at the Locks.  If
photographing certain buildings, bridges, power plants, or other
facilities is to be illegal, then there should be laws that clearly say
so.  There should either be postings notifying people, or a general
policy prohibiting photography of certain things.  We could follow the
lead of other free (TIC) countries like Syria, Iran, and Burma which
have had such policies in place for many years.

And as far as I know, there is no requirement for US citizens to carry
or produce ID, so long as no law has been violated.  How much longer
will it be before police can arbitrarily demand "papers" from anyone
they like?

As an upstanding, tax paying American citizen, I think it's only right
and fair that I should be able to know the specific letter of the law,
so that I may comply as required.  As long as I am in compliance with
the law, the authorities should have no right to impede my activities
in any way.  As it is, I no longer feel comfortable that I know when I
am stepping over the line.  Today, almost any photograph, viewed in a
certain light, can be construed as a national threat.

How are we going to stop terrorism?  Is it going to be by ceding our
freedoms and investigating everybody's private lives?  Or is it more
effective to look at the real causes of terrorism and how foreign
policy contributes to those causes?

--Jim

Replies: Reply from david_degner at yahoo.com (David Degner) ([Leica] Photo student harassed in Seattle by Homeland Security)
Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Photo student harassed in Seattle by Homeland Security)