Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 price revealed
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Jul 19 07:41:41 2004

Fer Gds sake, Frank - We are not talking about a crappy desktop printer
here, we're talking about a $3K digital camera. Keep in mind that
Epson's high end printers stay in production for years. There is no
reason to expect this item to be dumped in a year like some component
for the electronics industry, or any reason to assume that repairs won't
be available.

As to PJs buying it to use once and throw away - I can't conceive of
anyone doing that. This isn't that kind of specialty item. I can see
someone buying, like an underwater housing for a camera because they
have a once-in-a-career assignment, and there's no rental unit
available. And in that case a photographer well might sell the unit and
try to recoup as much as he or she could. Similarly, if one needs a
special piece of equipment of some sort, the first thing to do is try to
rent it.

Assuming this camera is any good - and based on the images we've seen
that may be assuming too much ;-) - it's an item that rangefinder
photographers who have gone, or want to go digital will want as part of
their regular kit.

Now, is it being officially imported into the US? I have no idea. Will
it be worth buying? At the $2900, with the image quality we've seen up
till now? Hell no. :-) But it may be that the problems have all been
firmware based, and will have been eliminated by the time it's released.
If this camera can produce images on a par with those produced by the
better Canon/Nikon/Olympus DSLRs, then maybe it's worth the price for
someone who wants a rangefinder body for their Leica mount lenses.

But I sure don't see this, at $2900, as something starving students are
going to buy. The market, I would think, is pro and well-healed "am."

B. D.