Subject: [Leica] About ready to give it up...
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 14:00:32 2004

I guess I will not travel to the Philipines. ;-)  I took my ham radio rig
with me to Germany some years ago and they had no problem with it being
hand carried on the plane, something like 40 pounds.  Although on the way
back they had me take it over to their machine which checks for explosives
prior to boarding the plane.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Jim Laurel <jplaurel@spectare.com>           |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           07/21/2004 03:44 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
              |
  |       cc:
              |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] About ready to give it up...
              |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

As Rei points out, the carry-on standards are arbitrarily set by the
airlines themselves.  Philippne Airlines made repeated announcements
about the 15lb limit and claimed that this was a new FAA regulation,
which I don't think is true.  As far as I know the FAA has guidelines
that a carry-on should be no more than 45 linear inches, but has no
weight limitations.

Philippine Air weighed our carry-ons twice to ensure they were under
15lb - one at check in, and once at the gate.  Both times, I removed
the EOS body and 28-70 to get my bag down to 15lb.  They regarded my
computer case as a "personal item", though it also weighs over 15lbs!

As to the portable devices to back up cards, I have one of those along
with me too, but do not trust it.  The day before I left, I pulled mine
out (Flashtrax 80gb), and connected it to my Powerbook to do some
housekeeping.  The Mac reported it could not connect to it.  Rebooted
the Mac, same message.  Finally used the Flashtrax firmware to reformat
the device, and the Mac connected fine.  Therefore, I assume it was an
issue with the Flashtrax.  Point is, that if i had just come back from
my trip, with some important pictures on the Flashtrax, they would all
have been lost.  So, I don't trust them.  Plus, with digital SLRs -
particularly the dust prone EOS1Ds - you need a computer with you to
alert you to sensor dust problems.

--Jim