Subject: [Leica] Website updates
From: mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre)
Date: Sat Jul 24 20:14:41 2004

Nothing like a vacation to catch up on PAW work!

Week 29

While travelling, I went to the International Peace Gardens on the border
between Manitoba and North Dakota. Created in 1931, this is a wonderful
place recognising the special relationship between Canada and the United
States. The gardens literally straddle the border, and call attention to the
thousands of kilometres of undefended boundary between our two nations.

http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-29.htm

These towers were built in 1982, adding to the character and drama of the
site:

http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-29.htm#picture2

Also added to the gardens two years ago was a memorial to the September 11
tragedy in New York. These are actual pieces of the World Trade Centre. My
wife -- a Canadian as well -- was moved to tears when she stood before this.

http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-29.htm#picture3

Week 30

On a more related note, I also visited the Commonwealth Air Training Centre
museum in Brandon. This museum pays tribute to the thousands of Canadian
soldiers from WWII who took pilot training for the war. With us were two
visiting Dutch relatives, in their 80's, who remember vividly VE day in
Europe. They were both 16 at the time, and it was at one of the celebration
dances in the heady days after the Netherlands' liberation that the two met.
Preserved in this museum are some wonderful vintage aircraft, vehicles, and
other items.

http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-30.htm
http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-30.htm#picture2

Week 31

Finally, I caught this image after a lengthy -- but highly enjoyable --
family reunion party. The kids, it seemed, had played themselves out! You'll
have to take my word that this image was not staged!

http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/2004-31.htm

Comments, suggestions etc most welcome.

jm

Message from mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre) ([Leica] PAW 28 (non-leica))