Subject: [Leica] OT Ansel Adams exhibition
From: jkoplen at mindspring.com (Julian Koplen)
Date: Mon Jul 26 15:17:09 2004

Our local art museum is featuring an Ansel Adams print exhibit.  It was
disappointing.

The prints were illuminated with small spots or track-lights emitting a soft
orange glow.  To my (aging) eyes, the exhibition was wasted.  All the famous
tonality and subtle gradations were not visible to me under that
illumination.  When I gently mentioned this to the docent, she replied that
"they" were being cautious, since "they" didn't wish to damage the prints
with stronger light.

As I left the exhibit, very dissatisfied, I wondered what good is a
masterful black-and-white print, if no one can see it.

Question:  Is this the norm for exhibition of such original prints, or are
my local museum keepers off base?  These were all b/w prints.

Thanks.............Julian

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] OT Ansel Adams exhibition)