Subject: [Leica] Re: aerial photography
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Jul 26 16:10:45 2004

I've done a lot of aerial photography with a wide range of equipment,
and the basics aren't that hard.

Most of my stuff has been architectural or construction related, and
has been at altitudes of 500 to 2000m. As other posters have noted, a
clear, smog-free day is one of the most important ingredients. It's
surprising how murky the first 200m above the ground are, but it's
easily seen when you're up in a plane. Avoid days with beautiful
puffy clouds in the sky, because you'll be in for a rough ride.

I tend to prefer high-wing fixed planes like the Cessna 172 over
helicopters unless I need to shoot very wide angle shots. I've shot
with a 47mm SA on 6x12, which is equivalent to a 15mm on 35, but this
only works from helicopters as the struts and wheel get in the way on
the Cessna's. If you do use a Cessna, make sure the window does pop
open all the way, as it's hard to undo the fastener in the air (you
really have to stand outside!). Also, don't forget that _you_ need
the window. I once chartered a plane, only to have the pilot say that
he really wanted to fly from the right hand side, and the window on
that plane happened to be on the right. Cessnas come with windows on
the right, left, both or none. Check it out. Once underway, the
window will stay up of its own accord once you open it due to the
airflow. I don't take the doors off Cessnas because I don't feel the
slightly better view is worth the buffeting and increased risk of
losing somethin.

Helicopters cost 4 to 10 times as much per hour, and if you have a
lot of ground to cover, the cheaper ones don't get around as quickly.
It adds up to a lot of money for the client. If you plan your trip,
you can get a lot done in an hour from a small plane. The other thing
is that under most circumstances a helicopter vibrates more than a
Cessna, mostly because it has a lot bigger engine. If you think you
can ask a helicopter pilot to just hover until you get your shot,
think again! When hovering, a helicopter vibrates the most. I
generally only use a helicopter when I need to follow a vehicle on
the ground, or when the client insists on hiring the aircraft
himself, and hires a helicopter against my advice. This often happens
when the client is a government agency (who use 'somebody else's'
money, ie, ours). One of my scariest moments was when I was in a
helicopter with a big bulkhead between the pilot and myself, and I
was sitting on a bench in the back, with both doors left at home. I
had buckled myself in, as well as the camera bags, and then we went
flying. As we started circling the site, and the helicopter was
banking to give me shots straight down, I noticed that the bench I
was sitting on wasn't fastened to the airframe. I thought for sure
that I was going for a trip and would have to learn to fly without
mechanical aids! Fortunately, the seatbelts were fastened to the
airframe, so now I only had to make sure I hung onto the bench so
that it didn't fall out the doors until we landed and fastened things
down again. Obviously, on the last trip the seat had bee taken out to
enable the 'copter to haul cargo, and the seat hadn't been fastened
again. Very interesting.

As far as equipment goes, take the 50 and 35 you have. The 35 is nice
because you can get very nice shots which show a given site below and
the horizon, which makes it very easy to illustrate a site in
context. It's hard to use a lens wider than 35 from a Cessna. The 50
will be good for more detailed shots. Something like a 75 would be
nice, and then you could leave the 50 at home, but that's really all
you need. The main thing is to take lots of film, and make sure you
can change film fast. One of my favourite aerial photo cameras is a
Mamiya 645 with the 55 and 110mm lenses. Good sharp lenses, and the
Mamiya allows inexpensive preloaded cassettes to be used. I have
about 20 of these cassettes, and they are ready on takeoff. I tape
the distance scales to infinity, the aperture to f/5.6 and set the
camera on autoexposure (I shoot mostly colour neg on these shoots).
The film is a high contrast 160 speed material most of the time. I
usually only use a skylight filter, but sometimes a polarizer. With
the latter, and in winter, I might use f/4. I try to keep my shutter
speed around 1/500, but 1/250 works most of the time as well.

I have rented a Kenyon gyro a couple of times, but found it to be
useful only with quite long lenses (200mm and greater, 35
equivalent). They are heavy, and can be a pain to re-orient for the
next shot, and space is limited.

I discuss the flight and communications I use with the pilot
beforehand. The route is mapped out, and I make sure I can recognize
the terrain before I get there, because often the pilot will not be
able to. I don't use headphones when I can help it, because they get
in the way of the cameras. I use a strap to hold my glasses on. Once
I forgot it and the wind whipped my glasses off right over City Hall.
I didn't bother to try to claim them, or find them. It also meant
that the rest of the flight was an uncertain shoot. Fortunately,
because focussing wasn't necessary, I did get all the shots. I often
try to shoot 5 or 6 different sites on one flight; it makes for a lot
more profit and I can still give the clients an excellent rate.

As far as flying over the sites, I ask the pilots to fly in a square,
or as close as possible. I use hand signals for direction changes,
and rate of change of direction, and also when I want the pilot to
raise the wing tip on my side to that I can get the horizon in. The
direction changes have to be made sharply and quickly, because
usually you can't shoot while changing direction and you waste time.
It's sometimes hard to get pilots to make hard enough turns, because
many of them do tourist trips or business trips, and on those the
type of turns I require would lose them their jobs (and lunch). I
once had a pilot throw up once we came back onto the ground, but that
is a rarity. Don't take clients on these flights. It's very hard and
sometimes impossible to refuse them if they insist, as they are
paying for what they think is a joyride. They almost always turn
green and twice I've had clients throw up on a flight; once onto
himself and some of my camera equipment and once on the pilot. I had
to promise the pilot not to bring a client along again.

If you are going to higher elevations or shoot in the winter, make
sure you have gloves. I use a glove made of a windstop fleece,
fingerless but with a mitt 'hood' that I can fold over the
fingertips. It can get very nippy, but you need the fingertips free
to load film.

If you have any more questions, e-mail me.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] aerial photography)