Subject: [Leica] OT Ansel Adams exhibition
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 06:03:43 2004

I would say they were being over cautious.  We had an exhibition of his
prints here in Cedar Rapids 2 years ago and they were very well lit.  A
superb show with several of the prints in several renditions that he had
made over the years.  I would complain and see if they would upgrade their
lighting for the remainder of the exhibit.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>     |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           07/26/2004 05:16 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
              |
  |       cc:
              |
  |       Subject:  [Leica] OT  Ansel Adams exhibition
              |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Our local art museum is featuring an Ansel Adams print exhibit.  It was
disappointing.

The prints were illuminated with small spots or track-lights emitting a
soft
orange glow.  To my (aging) eyes, the exhibition was wasted.  All the
famous
tonality and subtle gradations were not visible to me under that
illumination.  When I gently mentioned this to the docent, she replied that
"they" were being cautious, since "they" didn't wish to damage the prints
with stronger light.

As I left the exhibit, very dissatisfied, I wondered what good is a
masterful black-and-white print, if no one can see it.

Question:  Is this the norm for exhibition of such original prints, or are
my local museum keepers off base?  These were all b/w prints.

Thanks.............Julian