Subject: [Leica] Gosh, really Buzz? Now..GREG LOCKE! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jul 30 13:26:02 2004

Greg Locke offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Gosh, really Buzz?

> Just one perspective from someone with over 20 years of photojournalism
> experience in about 60 countries.
> > The most trouble I have ever had is in the USA and Canada.<<<<<

Hi Greg,
How right you are!!! :-)

The guys in suits who think they carry authority in other countries! It's
usually some jerk's visit to Parliament Hill with the VIP, who thinks he
carries the same clout as in his own country.

Yeah he has a job to do but that doesn't make him the be all to end all when
visiting another country as they're supposed to work hand in glove with the
local security people. Well on paper anyway.

A similar situation to you with a "plug in ear talking up his sleeve"
security guy who was trying to move me out of the way... "Hey you'll have to
move away from here as you're not allowed to be here!" And became a touch
physical with hands on trying to push me back.

"Excuse me officer." I say politely, "But I'm on the PM's staff and if you
look at the lapel pins on my jacket you'll see my PM staff ID pin and one
issued by the RCMP!"  He says in a very loud voice, "You didn't hear me
right?  I said move it and if you don't I'll have someone do it, NOW MOVE
IT!!" More shove .

OK." says I, then wave a Mountie over whom I knew was on the PM's security
staff. He says smilingly, "Hi ted, you got a problem?"  "Not really, however
this person seems to and possibly you might inform him where I can be?"

Mountie in a quiet voice says to belligerent security guy...  " This
photographer, Mr. Grant has accreditation to go anywhere on Parliament Hill
anytime, anywhere. And if you'd been paying attention to the security lapel
pins you wouldn't have made it necessary for me to come over here and give
you a lesson in security identification! Thank you." Smiles and walks away.

Visitor goes white faced, then red, says nothing. Then on his talk in the
sleeve radio says... "It's OK the Mounties just sorted it out!" End of
pushing and get out of here BS.

I stayed where I was, VIP & PM walked by, I went click-click and that was
it. Said thank you to the belligerent bastard, smiled and walked away.

Some of them are so cool and some are such dumb ass jerks it's unbelievable
they can be in the same police unit. Unfortunately in North America security
services and local police quite often see properly accredited photographers
as the enemy and often harass us just to leave, then we're not a problem in
their eyes.

And for those of you who've never worked as media photographers it's truly
not as easy as it looks, nor does crying out about your political and
constitutional rights mean anything. Regardless of what you may think
sitting there in front of your screen!

In the heat of the moment with these guys the chances are ' YOU ARE GOING TO
LOOSE!" Unless as I said above, one of them is completely on yer side, it's
usually better to back off and quickly find a better location using a
300-400mm lens.

Because if you stand and argue, the "action is going to be missed" while
you're arguing with a mental midget security guy or gal. Oh and the gals?
As beautiful as some of them are, man you can fall in love a dozen times a
day with some of them.;-)

Jeeesh just don't mess with them, as I swear they feel they have to "prove
themselves as tough assed as all get out!" And you are definitely going to
loose going up against one of them. And in the blink of an eye!

I figure they've watched too much TV and Clint Eastwood! ;-) Oh but you can
still look at them with longing eyes! But whatever.... don't show it! :-)

ted