Subject: [Leica] Re: Grafton Regis Northamptonshire #3
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sat Jul 31 08:42:22 2004

>why isn,t it spelled aquaduct iso aqueduct?

You might as well ask why the English language is rife with
contradictions. If I had to guess - and this is a guess - I'd say it's
because the "e" in English is often pronounced as an "a" and when the
spelling of "aqueduct" was standarized an "e" was used rather than an
"a". I'd also note that an "e" in many European languages is also
pronounced as an "a" so it's not so unusual.

Walker Smith