Subject: [Leica] Summilux Asph arrives: The Graphic Truth (part 3 or 4 I forget)
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sun Aug 1 21:54:44 2004

Here are the promised samples of the 50 Summilux Asph. All photos
scanned at 720 dpi, jpeged and unsharpened.

First up is a sample of what happens when the sun is just out of the
frame and shining on the lens:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/50-Summilux-Asph-samples/flare

So I can safely say it is not as flare proof as the Noctilux. This is
the only time it flared and other photos from a similar angle but
without direct sunlight on the lens are flare free.

Further on the flare performance is this example:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/50-Summilux-Asph-samples/toecounting

Notice how the slats in the sunlit blinds can still be clearly seen.
Impressive. (grey point adjusted to bring out some detail in child's
face which is why the child's face is slightly muddy)

And this one (much better scan this time as I can actually see the damn
thing now that I turfed the LCD monitor):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/50-Summilux-Asph-samples/maze

We got up early every morning and watched the Tour de France live. Wide
open at 1/8 shows a little camera shake (and subject movement). This is
where I missed the mass of the Noctilux:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/50-Summilux-Asph-samples/tdf

(Colour balance adjusted)

And a little skin and bondage in a futile attempt to mimic Kyle:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/50-Summilux-Asph-samples/bath

:-)

All these photos are being shared to show how the Summilux Asph
performs. Most of them will now go into Bin 13. Please do NOT let my
darling spousal unit know I posted an early morning photo of her. While
I am quite fond of the raw her, she prefers a little prep work before
public display.

So should you go out and sell your old 50 Summilux to get this one? It
is sharper wide open and is less susceptible to flare; but, enough to
make a $1000US difference? If you are not swimming in cash, definitely
not. If money is not an issue or you are, like me, trying to find a
closer focusing, lighter Noctilux, then sure, I am happy I did.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] Summilux Asph arrives: The Graphic Truth (part 3 or 4 I forget))
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: Summilux Asph arrives: The Graphic Truth (part 3 or 4 I forget))
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Summilux Asph arrives: The Graphic Truth (part 3 or 4 Iforget))