Subject: [Leica] Born At Risk...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Aug 2 09:33:38 2004

B. D. Colen offered:
> As to chucking it...I have the same impulse when I look at work by
> people like Eugene Richards...I say 'what the hell am I wasting my time
> for, and why have I got all this money tied up in equipment?' <<<<<<

Hi B.D.,
No no mon ami, don't chuck the gear because of looking at another's work.
Simply because, have you not wondered if you had the identical access that
you or another photographer wouldn't shoot as good as or better than Eugene?

Yep he's good, damn good! However in many cases it's "access to the
location" that allows some shooters to look like they're the only ones in
the world to shoot touching   material and then held in great awe.

When in fact you or others on the list might capture even better photographs
or certainly equal to his if given the opportunity. Where's it written in
stone he's the be all to end all in this situation. Don't forget he's
shooting the dirty gritty side of life with the good fortune for incredible
access, therefore he captures things others can't because they aren't their
to prove themselves.

Women in Medicine book for instance. Are there not some on this list, if
given the identical access to where we shot not capable of blowing us out of
the water? Damn right there are. And as nice as it is to receive the
accolades about the new book, it's extremely important not to get a big head
about it because one can be knocked down a big notch by another shooter any
day of the week if given similar circumstances.

One thing I've come to understand over the years is... that if one has
access one can shoot pictures others see as "magnificent and he's terrific!"
Rightly so to some degree as there must be talent to feel and see the
moments as well.

But one should always keep another's work in perspective, certainly as we
see your latest series with the neonatal babies. Wonderful touching images
and moments. Now ask yourself, if Eugene shot them would they be perceived
as being any better? Yeah some people would be babbling like as idiots about
how great he is and etc etc etc.

When in reality B. D. Colen has shot it equal to anything Eugene would've
done and quite possibly much better. I opt for "much better!"

So my friend hang onto the gear and if ever there's a feeling one should
develop toward another's work or book, it should act as a driving force of
doing better in your own work and not a defeating one. In other words...
"Man that's great but I'm going to learn from it, get out there and kick ass
and do something better!"

Selling the gear and packing it in is a non-starter even if it's the best
you've seen of another's work. Learn from it because that's what it's all
about! Then do better on your next shoot whatever that maybe.

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Born At Risk...)