Subject: [Leica] Film snobs and Tri-X
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Aug 2 23:03:24 2004

Could someone describe in a nutshell the difference between Tri-X and
Neopan 400?  I've heard that Neopan has a bit finer grain.  But what about
tonal rendition, shadow vs. highlight detail, contrast, etc.?

I love Neopan 1600 when it's really dark.  But I've always gravitated to
Tri-X for the normal available light stuff.  I've tried Neopan 400 a couple
of times, but not enough to really understand the differences.  And the
Neopan 400 was developed in D76 1:1, whereas my Tri-X is usually done in
Xtol, so I was comparing apples and oranges.

(and then of course there's T400CN and its successors, which are another
can of worms entirely.  Great for convenience, a beautiful long-scale tonal
range, and very little grain when the shadows are not too dark.  But it
gets scratched if you so much as look at it harshly, and deep shadows are
mud and grain unless you rate it at 250 or 200. )

--Peter
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Film snobs and Tri-X)
Reply from n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Film snobs and Tri-X)