Subject: [Leica] Re: www.mac.com
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Tue Aug 3 06:21:02 2004

It's like an external harddisc where you can store whatever you want. But
this harddisc is a few 1000 miles away form your desk, and you access it via
the net. It's pretty safe and stable (and by pretty I mean 100%), bound to
be up to date and backed up all the time since it's hosted by Apple (this is
my personal opinion, ofcourse), and you only pay for the space you need. So
for archiving stuff, it's a good and affordable solution: you just outsource
the archiving, backing up, keeping your (limitless) discspace up-to-date
part of the job.

The only thing you need is a high speed internet connection, but seeing you
have chello this is not a problem, and cable or ADSL are becoming more and
more standard.

.Mac is comparable with the .net initiative of Microsoft: the idea is to
make of your desktop or laptop just a "service station", and to have all
software and discspace on an external server. Use of software etc. would be
charged per minute or hour, etc.

I never believed in this, because it makes me think somebody else has
control over whatever I want to do, but for archiving unconfidential
information it's a good alternative. Especially when you're travelling a lot
and want to have access to your photos or docs without needing your own
laptop.

---