Subject: [Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 3 08:31:17 2004

Nathan said:
> The archiving issue is one I have thought a lot about. Right now, my
images reside on the internal hard disk in the computer and a backup copy is
on an external Firewire hard disk which is only on when things are being
written to it. Once I have enough data to fill a DVD I do another backup
onto a DVD.<<<

Hi Nathan,

Question re: Archiving digital?

When we're producing Leica Seminar slide presentations using B&W images of
which we have many already in the computer scanned at 4000. We then size
these to 35mm frame, make corrections and burn to a CD. Take them to the lab
where they make absolutely beautiful B&W 35mm slides.  On film!

So digital archiving aspect?

As we know at the moment, film has greater archived life span than digital
and that being the case, why not save the finest of our digital photographs
in similar fashion? Burn them to CD and have film "negatives " made as we
make positive slides?

Then we have the archival value of a film negative as well as a digital on
CD, DVD, whatever? Being the rookie I am in all this digital stuff maybe
I've completely overlooked the main point why this wont work. Because surely
a much smarter person than I would've come up with it a long time ago.

So would or would it not work as an archival possibility? And if not, why
not?

ted

Replies: Reply from aalmansi at yahoo.com (Aquiles Almansi) ([Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] WAS: Nathan's PAW 31: NOW: Digital ARCHIVING)