Subject: [Leica] Campaign solicits race of Arizona Star photographer, turns away t wo Albuquerque Journal Reporters
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Aug 4 08:05:57 2004

This is all part of an extremely disturbing trend in this country having
to do with the politicization of the mainstream media, a move back
toward the era in which major newspapers - which was all that existed
then in terms of "the media" - were house organs for political parties.
Sadly, the latest PEW survey on the public and the media indicates that
this is happening, in part, because it's what the public wants.
Republicans, for example, believe that Fox is even handed and accurate,
while Democrats have no faith in Fox and tend to believe CNN. I will
argue that CNN is far closer to being balanced than Fox, but that aside,
I think that what these findings indicate is that people believe that
the network or newspaper that tells them what they already believe to be
true is the one they view as accurate. People are no longer reading
newspaper, or watching t.v. news, to learn what's going on - they are
reading or watching to have their preconceived belief set reinforced and
validated. And that is truly frightening in terms of its implications
for the future of the country.

The thought that a Presidential campaign would even think to ask the
race of a reporter or photographer being assigned to cover an event is
appalling - as is the idea that they would want to know how the person
was registered as a voter.

B. D.