Subject: [Leica] Be prepared!!
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Wed Aug 4 16:12:49 2004

>The Merlin is unmistakeable - an interesting bit of useless information,
>the Messerschmitt 109 G was licence built in Spain after WWII
>and was, in the last version, powered by the Merlin engine.

Douglas, that is indeed some interesting information. I was aware that
the Spanish Air Force used a modified ME-109; into the 1960's IIRC. I
didn't know that they had gone to the Merlin engines but perhaps
supplies from Germany at the time were not possible. Spain had close
ties to Germany and their Army's CETME rifle was a design by former
German arms experts hired after the war by Spain and based heavily upon
a WW2 design.

You're obviously deep into British WW2 aircraft. My uncle told my father
that when he flew recon missions for the RAF along the French and
Belgian coasts that all arms were stripped from the planes and he wasn't
even allowed to have a pistol in the event he was shot down. The reason
was simple: no arms, no fight. They wanted the pictures taken and
returned to England. No dog fights.

I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters & RAF Woodbridge in Suffolk for six
years in the 1980's. Both bases were closed in the 1990's as far as US
forces are concerned. I have no idea what the British MOD might be using
them for.

Walker