Subject: [Leica] HCB
From: PetersonAG at NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL (Peterson Arthur G NSSC)
Date: Thu Aug 5 11:17:56 2004

B.D. wrote, "HCB truly was a once-in-several generations phenomenon. I don't
use the word 'genius' lightly, but I have no hesitation in calling him a
genius. He was, as I've written here before, not a photographer per se, but
an artist, in the purest sense of that term, whose creative tool was a
camera.  ...As he said, he 'drew' with his camera. And as some of the obits
are correctly noting, he wasn't a 'photojournalist,' he was a surrealist,
who saw the world in shapes and geometric forms, who valued composition over
content - in the way we tend to think of content. For HCB, it was about the
image, not the subject."

Very nicely put!  I couldn't agree more.

Art Peterson