Subject: [Leica] Campaign solicits race of Arizona Star photographer, turns away t wo Albuquerque Journal Reporters
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Aug 5 12:12:17 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+bdcolen=earthlink.net@leica-users.org
Slobodan Dimitrov
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 2:02 PM
To: Leica Users Group
Subject: Re: [Leica] Campaign solicits race of Arizona Star
photographer,turns away t wo Albuquerque Journal Reporters

I used to think that the old joke, of the average individual getting a post
card on Monday to come in for a lobotomy willingly on Friday, far fetched.
I'm not so sure of that any more. S. Dimitrov

> From: George Lottermoser <george@imagist.com>
> Date: Thu,  5 Aug 2004 11:35:18 -0500
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] Campaign solicits race of Arizona Star
> photographer, turns away t wo Albuquerque Journal Reporters
>
> B. D. Colen8/4/04
>> The thought that a Presidential campaign would even think to ask the
>> race of a reporter or photographer being assigned to cover an event
>> is appalling - as is the idea that they would want to know how the
>> person was registered as a voter.
>
> Add to the appalling trends the isolation of of dissent by both
> parties and I believe we have some serious problems.
>
> Bush Zones Go National
>
> by JIM HIGHTOWER
>
> [from the August 16, 2004 issue of The Nation]
>
> At the 2000 GOP nominating convention in Philadelphia, candidate Bush
> created a fenced-in, out-of-sight protest zone that could only hold
> barely 1,500 people at a time. So citizens who wished to give voice to
> their many grievances with the Powers That Be had to:
>
> (1) Schedule their exercise of First Amendment rights with the
> decidedly unsympathetic authorities.

   (2) Report like cattle to the protest pen at their designated time, and
only in the numbers authorized.