Subject: [Leica] OT: Contax T
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Aug 7 08:41:02 2004

looking at my T, i see these rails you had mentioned, i never
thought about them before.  they correspond to the convex
protrusions on the spring on the black swing-down pressure plate.
they might not be absolutely necessary, since they are so shallow,
however these rails on mine do show wear so maybe it's made from a
harder substance to withstand constantly removing and replacing the
back.

i dropped my T in '01 and gave it up for dead, but essex camera was
able to fix it (including replacing the crushed top plate).
http://www.essexcamera.com

i have been told that Metro camera repair in NYC can also fix
the contax t, but i have not tried them.

the T is a very unique camera, the first of the "posh & shoots"
with performance to back it up.

reviews:

http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_84796_3108crx.aspx
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=003Fj5

my own plusses and minues:

+ drawbridge door in front, folds lens into body, protects lens and
  rangefinder glass
+ coupled rangefinder, aperture priority f2.8-16, up to 1/500 sec.
+ focus and aperture rings on the lens, just like a "real" camera.
+ sharp 38mm 2.8  sonnar lens.
+ powerful (for P&S) GN14 flash, takes 2AAs
+ flash usable at every aperture.
+ almost silent.
+ well-made metal body. (flash is plastic)  note the detail of the
  rewind crank with its inner indicate to show film advance to appreciate
  its quality
+ no shutter lag
+ photos come 'right side up' on contact sheets, i.e., as one looks
  at the camera from the rear, film feeds from left to right.

- otherwise excellent rangefinder edges hard to discern at times
- only +1.5EV button to compensate exposure (although you can easily
  and quickly change ASA)
- slightly fussy film loading, mediocre film spacing, only one-sprocket
  drive
- large for a compact with the flash attached (but quite compact without it)

-rei