Subject: [Leica] Re: Color film advice needed
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue Aug 10 14:53:24 2004

There has been an incredible change in the quality of print film
since the '80s. At least for 8 x 10 from 35 mm, I see no point in
using film slower than 400. Perhaps the 800 film will begin to show
grain for that degree of enlargement. The print film of the '80s had
poor color saturation and poor definition--definitely good for little
other than portraiture (my humble opinion).  The current stuff is
absolutely brilliant. If your ultimate object is prints, not slides,
print film is now the preferred medium, if only that it's great
latitude means that decisions as to whether to show detail in shadows
or highlights can usually be made when printing--do not need to be
made when shooting the picture.

People have their favorites, but I'm convinced that there is not that
much difference between films, despite what reviewers say.  At one
point, I read a glowing review of Agfa Optima; I had been using Fuji
Superia.  So, I put a roll of each in each of two cameras and shot
the same picture using the same focal length.  Well, when I first
printed, the two negatives produced radically different colors, but
after fiddling with the enlarger filtration, I was able to produce
indistinguishable prints from both. And, since the grain appeared
similar, I settled on the Fuji, which is obtainable in groceries and
and drug stores all over the world, while the Agfa film, at least
around here, is only to be found in a camera store.
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats,