Subject: [Leica] monsoon time...
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Aug 10 22:08:07 2004

When I was young my father's company had an Aero Commander 500B and I
got to ride shotgun. One winter late afternoon we were on our way to
Bimini via Ft Lauderdale and were flying down the center of Florida
between two vast lines of thunderstorms that rose on either side of us
upwards of 40,000 ft or so separated by perhaps 30 miles with a clear
channel that ran hundres of miles in a nort-south channel. We were at
maybe 8,000 ft flying above the cloud bases but with these vast storms
rising above us into strikingly blue sky, tinted by the sun setting in
the west - great streams of light, wonderful textures in the clouds.
The eastern-most line passed over Lauderdale in time for us to land,
which we quickly did and then waited for the next line to pass over -
a deluge with lots of lightning.

I would NOT want to do storm penetration in a 500B. Maybe a Lockeed
Electra? I think those are used by the Navy in their P-3 configuration
for penetrating rough weather. Maybe by NOAA too.

Adam