Subject: [Leica] My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-)
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed Aug 11 09:04:10 2004

Jonathan Borden8/10/04
>The biggest difference is that the inkjet print is definitely 'on the
>surface' whereas the Fiber print appears below the surface of the print
>-- this is not entirely the glossy/matte issue as, e.g.,
>Platinum/Palladium prints have that 'depth' appearance.
>
>I am not sure how much of this will be apparent under glass.

How wonderful to hear the considered opinion of a 'print-maker.' These
subtle differences in the 'look' and 'feel' of 'prints' really gets to the
heart of the matter for me.

And whether we can detect these differences under glass certainly is worth
considering. I get the most pleasure from looking at prints held in my
hands. Turning them this way and that to detect the richness and depth and
quality of the printing as well as the paper - including the 'feel' of the
paper.

Way back when in school I created and printed etchings, engravings, stone
lithographs and serigraphs. And worked my way through the the tuition in a
commercial photo studio darkroom. Each of these printing techniques offered
a unique relationship between the pigments, dyes, silver salts, etc. and
their papers.

So when we speak of digital capture or film capture we speak as
photographers. And when we speak of darkrooms with elon and metol and azo
and pryo and digital printing, whether inkjet or lamda or etc. then we begin
to speak as print-makers. I love both conversations.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092

Replies: Reply from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-))