Subject: [Leica] gay pride amsterdam prize winner big boat
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Aug 12 21:53:45 2004

Hi Simon,

You certainly got the images scanned quickly! I think that you need to
edit a bit more. This is always a problem for us photographers--we are
not particularly good editors of our own work. I know that from myself,
and of course now that I shoot digital there is an even greater danger
of putting up more stuff, because there are more pictures. What I do is
kind of "sleep on it". For example, when I came home from Amsterdam
Saturday evening, I copied the pictures to the PC. I then quickly went
through them with a browser, deleting the ones that I did not like at
all. Sunday morning I went back through the remainder, deleted a few
more, and selected the ones that I was going to work with in Photoshop.
 From that subset I finally selected the ones I posted. More or less the
same procedure with the ones from Copenhagen the week before.

In your case, there are some images which you should have edited away,
for example:
http://www.leica-gallery.net/apekop/image-71439.html
because the unsharp and very brightly lit people in the foreground
detract too much from the main subject, plus you have several other
pictures of the same boat. That is my other issue with editing: even if
several pictures are good, if they show more or less the same thing,
then you must, however painful it is, choose just one--the others do not
add anything.

Some images are real winners, like this one:
http://www.leica-gallery.net/apekop/image-71427.html
or this:
http://www.leica-gallery.net/apekop/image-71504.html
(just to pick on colour and one B&W)

Of course, all IMHO and all meant as friendly, constructive feedback.

Nathan