Subject: [Leica] beater cameras
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Thu Aug 19 09:30:14 2004

Don, that's a great summation of the durability of Leicas. My IIIb was
built only a couple of years later than your F and while it shows a lot
of use, it's in perfect operating condition and as slick as the day it
left the factory. I've heard - don't know how true it is - that the
Contax RF cameras last longer if they're used on a regular basis.
Something to do with the shutter tapes staying flexible.

I've been working out my "new" IIIc that I won on ebay a few weeks ago.
Built in 1949, it's in overall great condition and I was very lucky that
everything functions like a new camera. The shutter speeds seem to be
spot-on as my negatives are excellent. Other than a little chrome
flaking from the baseplate, I see nothing else to criticize. It's my
understanding that for a few years following the war that the chrome
Leitz was forced to use wasn't the best quality.

My problem -if it truly is one - is that I tend to baby my equipment and
hate to abuse it in any way. I buy an old camera with every intention of
treating it like a comfortable pair of old shoes. Then, when it performs
beyond my expectations, I want to protect the darn thing! I like quality
and precision in anything. I sometimes envy those for whom the camera is
only a piece of equipment to be used hard and replaced when it goes bad.

Walker