Subject: [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Aug 19 09:41:37 2004

I've been mostly watching the NBC HDTV coverage (which is quite
different than the prime-time coverage  aired in the US: I think it's
pooled coverage and there are different and much more balanced
commentators than for general consumption here.)

Anyway - with wide framing does show more photographers (who I watch
just to see where they are (ick) and what they might be using). At the
swimming venue they have a box about 25 meters from the start and for
the morning session are shooting into the sun so the athletes' faces
are in shadow. At least the backdrop of the stands are dark also! AND
they get to work around the tracking TV cameras too and the officials
walking stroke in the fly, back and breaststrokes.

On the other hand there IS a strobe mounted on the bottom of the pool
toward the start end! (Images of THAT puppy going wrong and adding a
bit of spurt to the swims is an intriguing mental image.)

I wonder if, in future Olympics, we'll see wireless connections from
the cameras to a central facility where the editors will get the
images locally in near-realtime. (And some hankypanky to block a
competitor's signal?) Doesn't Nikon have something like that out now
in one of their cameras?

I am generally happy with the HD images. The next Olympics will be
dominated by HD coverage I'm sure  -  but I'd still pay for complete
coverage of say swimming or gymnastics where I got to see everything
from the unseeded first heats with little commentary or more for those
of us who need it in sports like gymnastics where I'm totally
clueless.

Adam