Subject: [Leica] Veteran
From: oliverbryk at iqmail.net (Oliver)
Date: Fri Aug 20 08:03:28 2004

Ted wrote:

"Hi Oliver,

OK right off, you are on the wrong side of the light to shoot this. By that
I mean considering the direction of the sunlight, you should've moved to his
left side... "as to the shadow side" what little there was and it would've
given an over all better effect.

I mean it seems like there wasn't much thought to the light direction other
than having enough for an exposure.

>>>As he wheeled him into the sun at my request,<<<<<<<

And why, unless there was half and half lighting sun-shadow splitting his
face why would you ever let him be wheeled into full glaring unflattering
sunlight?

Everytime I see a photograph like this in blazing sun I'm reminded of a
comment by Marc Riboud of France:

"Sunlight is the enemy of photographers! Give me overcast, shadows, fog,
anything but sunlight when photographing people!"

And this photograph is the epitome of what he means. Surely the shade he
must have been in would've been better than this glaring sun with no
enhancing effects whatsoever.

Sorry mate you asked !
ted"

Ted, you're absolutely right; I wasn't thinking. I had only two frames left
and my bladder was at redline. He was in shade on the north side of the
building and I was concerned that all the grays would merge. Fog is, of
course, wonderful, and we have lots of it every day until lunchtime...
Thanks for commenting! Oliver